DP World Melbourne is located in the Port of Melbourne, Australasia’s largest maritime hub for containerised, automotive and general cargo. At 49 hectares, it is the largest container terminal operated by DP World Australia. The site is equipped with the latest terminal control system and provides easy access to road and rail. DP World Melbourne’s West Swanson Terminal is a dynamic 7 day, 24 hour operation that offers variety and an outstanding opportunity to grow as a professional in Australia’s Logistics and Supply Chain Industry.
About the role
Reporting to the Health, Safety, Security & Environment Manager, this position is responsible for co-ordinating day-to-day S&E systems activities, S&E initiatives, reporting processes, consultation arrangements and the implementation of the site risk management program.
We are seeking applicants with substantial experience in a similar role within an industrial environment, including audit, risk assessment and incident investigation experience. The successful candidate will have strong leadership experience in large scale 24x7 operations, with proven ability to obtain cooperation and support of senior management, peers and employees.
An ability to problem solve is a must, together with an ability to manage and prioritise a busy workload. The right person will be energetic and customer service oriented with a positive, ‘can do’ attitude and the ability to engage with and foster strong relationships with a broad variety of stakeholders.
- Take visible leadership within the West Swanson Terminal and champion all safety initiatives
- Provide advice, guidance and coaching on all matters relating to safety
- Promote a positive safety culture
- Ensure DPWA WST is in full compliance with OHS&E statutory requirements
- Immediately address any non-compliance or breach of policy, procedure or direction
- Lead by example in the execution of safe work practices and ensure continual identification and management of hazards to reduce damage and injuries
- Complete ICAM investigations as required
- Coordinate the allocation and tasking of the ‘S&E Facilitator’
- Participate in the development of health and well-being programs with providers
- Development of S&E programs/initiatives targeted to reduce risk in the business
- Assist in the effective implementation and operation of Safety & Environmental systems to facilitate continuous improvement
- Manage communications to employees regarding all OHS&E information and health and well-being programs
- Timely and accurate completion of all statutory and business reporting
- Plan and implement the Risk Management program for WST including entering CIR’s and engagement programs, tracking corrective action compliance and developing critical risks programs
- Ensure that all aspects of terminal operations including vessel condition, traffic management and container movements are managed safely providing greater opportunity for maximum productivity and customer satisfaction
Experience, skills and qualifications
- Tertiary qualifications within safety or related discipline
- Substantial experience in a similar role within an industrial environment. Construction or engineering experience desirable including audit, risk assessment and incident investigation experience
- Strong leadership experience in large scale 24x7 operations
- Proven ability to lead and motivate others, obtain cooperation and/or support of senior management, peers and employees across a multi-site environment
- Experience in workplace communication and consultation, including participation in statutory Site Safety & Environment Committees
- Proven ability to undertake complex investigations regarding incidents and near misses
- Comprehensive knowledge of relevant jurisdictional OHS&E Acts and regulations, dangerous goods regulations and Company policy
- Sound computer skills, competent in the use of Microsoft Office, particularly with Excel
- Exceptional verbal and written communication and training facilitation skills
- Ability to engage with and foster strong relationships with a broad variety of stakeholders
Remuneration and benefits
We are committed to the development of our people and invest in ongoing training to improve performance, provide career development opportunities and offer competitive salaries.
Supporting flexible work arrangements
At DP World Australia we understand that our greatest resource is our people. We provide long term career options where we recognise the importance of flexibility and a healthy work-life balance.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We employ and promote on the basis of role requirements and we select people to roles based on their qualifications, skills, experience and fit with DP World Australia’s culture and values.